The Conservancy testified at the New York City Landmarks Preservation Commission this week in response to a former Sacred Sites grantee. We support the application of St. James Episcopal Church Fordham to demolish a 1960s fellowship hall and allow the construction of a new residential building of affordable and supportive housing. The new development will provide funding to restore and maintain this landmark.
Henry Dudley designed St. James as a medieval, English parish church in 1863 when the Bronx was largely rural. It has magnificent Tiffany windows. The new building will eliminate some views of the church but, overall, it will remain the focal point of the block. We understand the struggles involved in maintaining these beautiful buildings—which the pandemic has made even more difficult.