We are excited to share the completion of a recent Historic Properties Fund (HPF) project, a Fund loan of $300,000 went towards a larger $1.2 million project to restore the exterior envelope of the Greenwich House’s historic Barrow Street headquarters. Greenwich House was founded in 1902 as a settlement house to help New York’s immigrant community, and continues to offer social and health services, cultural and educational programs, and opportunities for civic engagement to New Yorkers of all ages and backgrounds. The nonprofit celebrated 120 years of service to the New York Community in 2022.
Located in Manhattan’s Greenwich Village, Greenwich House’s historic headquarters is a seven-story Neo-Federal brick building dating to 1916-17 and designed by Delano & Aldrich and has a distinctive slate mansard roof and high arched windows. The organization had originally planned to restore the exterior envelope of the building in 2019, but costs quickly increased during the COVID-19 pandemic. With the help of a Fund loan, Greenwich House was able to bridge their funding gap and afford a full building envelope restoration, including repointing, brick replacement, stucco repairs, cornice and shutter refurbishment, and stone repair. The work was completed in the fall of 2023.