About The Landmark
The landmark Morris-Jumel Mansion is located in the aptly named Washington Heights section of Manhattan. Built in 1765 for British military officer Roger Morris, this National Historic Landmark once served as headquarters for General George Washington during the American Revolutionary War. It also holds the major distinction of being the oldest house in Manhattan.
With the Palladian style architecture and octagonal rooms, this home introduced innovative architectural styles into North America and once had sweeping views of Lower Manhattan and the surrounding rivers. By 1810 the house was owned by wealthy French merchant Stephen Jumel, and underwent some remodeling, including the addition of the handsome entrance in the Federal style.
Today it is owned by New York City and is operated as a museum; it is one of the few remaining landmarks from the 1776, Battle of Harlem Heights.
Visit morrisjumel.org for directions and information.
A special thanks to Executive Director Ken Moss and his staff. The mansion is part of 23 historic houses within the Historic House Trust of New York City.