About The Landmark
Edgar Allan Poe, the famous American author and poet, lived in this cottage from 1846-1849 in what is now the Bronx. It was here that Poe cared for his ailing wife Virginia who was suffering from tuberculosis and it is where he wrote “Annabel Lee,” “The Bells,” and “The Cask of Amontillado.” After Poe died in 1849 the house was slated for demolition, but a public outcry led to its preservation in 1902. In 1913 this shrine was moved across the street to its present location.
Poe Cottage (c.1812) plays an important role in history and is on the National Register of Historic Places and is a New York City Landmark. It is owned by the NYC Department of Parks & Recreation, and is in the collection of the Historic House Trust with The Bronx County Historical Society operating it as a museum.
Click here to learn more about Edgar Allan Poe and visit the landmark Poe Cottage.
Poe Park – 2640 Grand Concourse, The Bronx