Why is this building significant?
Occupying a corner site in the heart of Brooklyn’s heavily residential Park Slope neighborhood, this synagogue, grandly rendered in the Classical Revival style, has a chamfered corner containing its main entrance. This composition gives the building five sides, in a reference to the Five Books of Moses. A prominent dome surmounts the building. Rejecting Romanesque and Moorish elements, often employed in contemporaneous synagogues, the architects used Classicism, widely associated with civic or educational buildings, to lend authority to the Reform Jewish congregation. A Temple House accommodating religious and social functions was completed across the street from the synagogue in 1929.
What did the New York Landmarks Conservancy do?
We provided $53,000 towards a $1.75 million project to restore the synagogue’s roof and masonry.