About The Sacred Site
317 Leroy Avenue, Buffalo, NY 14214
Date of Construction: 1923-1928
Style: Lombard Romanesque Revival
Architect / Builder: Oakley and Schallmo
Blessed Trinity Church, a recognized community anchor and tourism site in northeast Buffalo, has been a part of the Conservancy’s celebration of Sacred Sites since 2012. This year’s Open House coincides with the church’s construction centennial, its cornerstone having been laid on August 7, 1923. Considered to be the purest replication of 12th Century Lombard-Romanesque architecture in the U.S.A., its distinctive features include handmade Harvard bricks laid in a medieval fashion; extensive use of terra cotta, both structural and decorative; and more than 2000 Christian symbols displayed in its art and architecture. A Buffalo landmark since 1977, the church was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1979. The 117-year-old faith community is also celebrating completion of a grant-funded project addressing areas of major church repair and restoration including reconstruction of the stairs and front plaza and repairs to the roof. The church’s original 1927 Tellers-Kent organ underwent major renovations in 2022, and the instrument will be featured in musical interludes during the Open House with a concluding performance at 3 PM.