A coalition of elected officials has added their voices to the chorus of civic groups, media and voters asking Governor Hochul to halt the real estate plan around Penn Station and answer the many questions the plan has raised.
The officials’ requests came in a statement yesterday to Empire State Development (ESD) from U.S. Representatives Carolyn Maloney and Jerry Nadler, State Senators Brad Hoylman, Robert Jackson, and Liz Krueger, State Assemblyman Richard Gottfried, Manhattan Borough President Mark Levine and City Councilmember Erik Bottcher. ESD is scheduled to give final approval to the plan on July 21.
The officials raised numerous questions about the financing, displacement of residents and the logistical difficulties of keeping Madison Square Garden in place. They said moving Madison Square Garden is “in the best long-term interests of the city.”
The plan “should not go forward until these issues are addressed and questions are answered,” they said.
The Conservancy also sent a formal letter to the Governor yesterday asking her to halt action on the plan to level blocks around the Station to allow giant office towers. We have consistently objected to the State’s threat of eminent domain and desire to displace residents, businesses and social service groups for a questionable real estate scheme.
Our thanks to all of you who called the Governor’s office last week asking for a halt to this plan.
A front page Times story this morning raised questions about the Governor’s promise of a transparent administration. The Penn Station “plan” is a poster child for the lack of transparency. It’s time for a halt. And time for answers.
Peg Breen, President
The New York Landmarks Conservancy