Holyrood Episcopal Church – Iglesia Santa Cruz (715 West 179th Street) is a local landmark to its Washington Heights community. Now it is one step closer to landmark designation. The Conservancy was happy to speak in support of this recognition at a March 23 Landmarks Preservation Commission (LPC) hearing along with Church leadership and other advocates.
The Gothic Revival-style church was built in 1916 as transportation improvements encouraged New Yorkers to move to northern Manhattan. When demographics changed, the Church responded, becoming a center of the Latino community. It now offers services in English, Spanish, and American Sign Language.
The Conservancy has worked with the congregation for over two decades, providing financial and technical assistance. Our Sacred Sites program staff was instrumental in getting Holyrood listed on the National Register of Historic Places, and are working with the congregation now to address leaks in the roof.
LPC Chair Sarah Carroll did not give a date for the Commission’s vote but announced that it would be soon.