Thanks to a $30,000 Conservancy grant, the Henry Street Settlement (HSS) was able to celebrate its 125th anniversary by completing a final restoration project on its federal-era buildings. Our grant helped restore the original 1830’s fencing that fronts HSS’s three connected headquarter buildings at 263, 265 and 267 Henry Street.
The Lower East Side not-for-profit has been providing social service, arts and health care programs to New Yorkers since 1893. HSS is completed a five-year capital campaign to restore and maintain their landmark townhouses and reuse an adjacent former firehouse into programming space for HSS. A 1996 Conservancy Historic Properties Fund loan helped restore the dining room of 267 Henry Street, one of the most architecturally and historically significant of their rooms.
This project included the removal, restoration and reinstallation of the panel fencing, stoop railings, post caps, and newel posts; missing and damaged decorative elements were replicated where necessary. The ironwork was sprayed with a galvanized coating to prevent rusting, then painted in a semi-gloss urethane black paint to ensure that the ironwork will maintain its look and stability for decades to come. This grant provided the NYLC with a timely opportunity to contribute to the sole remaining unrestored feature of HSS’s landmark buildings and helped them celebrate their 125th Anniversary of operations and many social service programs offered to the community.