Operated by the Historic House Trust of New York City, the Bartow-Pell Mansion (1836 – 42) is among the earliest properties designated as a landmark (exterior) by the City’s Landmarks Preservation Commission in 1966; in 1975, the Commission also designated the interior. The City has owned the property since 1888.
Last year, the floor in the “Powder Room” on the south side of the building was noticeably sagging. Upon closer inspection it was found that a leaking steam pipe had damaged some joists and a portion of the foundation below the floor, as well as the flooring itself. A $15,000 Emergency Preservation Grant is being used to replace deteriorated floor joists and the flooring in the Powder Room, as well as to repair areas of the foundation nearby.