The New York Landmarks Conservancy is very pleased to offer its Professional Circle members an exclusive tour of the historic Church of the Incarnation led by Chris Stromee, head architectural tour guide.
The Church of the Incarnation was founded in 1852. The present building on Madison Avenue was constructed in 1864 and designed by Emlen T. Littel.
Except for its tower and walls, the building was destroyed by a fire in 1882. It was rebuilt and enlarged by David Jardine, with a spire added in 1896 by Heins and LaFarge following Jardine’s designs. In 1905-06 the church rectory was rebuilt and received a new facade in neo-Jacobean style designed by Edward P. Casey. It is now the H. Percy Silver Parish House.
The Church of the Incarnation contains almost two dozen stained glass windows and other art work by noted American and British artists including Louis Comfort Tiffany, John LaFarge, Augustus Saint-Gaudens, Henry Holiday, William Morris, Daniel Chester French, and Henry Hobson Richardson. The building was designated a New York City landmark in 1979, and was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1982.
Space is limited, so please register early. We will maintain a waiting list of everyone else interested in participating and accommodate you as reservations change.
Contact Alissa Catalano at firstname.lastname@example.org or 212-995-5260, with any questions.